Sunday 26 February 2012

Glorious day, six year ticks

A fantastic, sunny, still day had me heading for the Forest in search of spring-like activity. And I found it. Woodlarks seemed to be singing everywhere across Broomy Plain and the old airfield, as well as a few Skylarks, amusingly my first for the year. A chilly ride it was, but arrival at the "traditional site" for displaying raptors soon turned up the goods - at least three Goshawks circling about, lazily deep wing-flapping, and occasionally dive-bombing each other. A return via Eyeworth Pond did not turn up the expected Mandarin, but I did see a Marsh Tit by the car-park. Further cross-country (using the same route as a massive fun run, alas) across Hampton Ridge, and I fluked a quartering ringtail Hen Harrier, not far from their traditional (but much depleted) roost site - that saves me a ride in the dark sometime!

Feeling my luck was on a roll, I diverted on the way home via the reserve once more, and from Tern Hide jammed in both three Black-tailed Godwits, and now not one but four Ruff - nice moves. Oooh yeah....

No comments:

Post a Comment