Friday 3 February 2012

Speculatively & spectacularly X-billed

Thursday 3rd

With 8 days away in Scotland, I decided to brave the cold. Cold, it was bloody freeeeeezin'! Anyway, I headed for Swanton Novers with Brambling & Crossbills as speculative possibilities. It was evidently quiet save lots of Thrushes, 50 Fieldfare, 30 Redwing, 15!!! Song Thrush, i guess maybe -37 in Poland has pushed a few things our way! Evidently not any Brambling, I think Nick has them all down in the Brecks this winter.

Anyhow, just as I was starting to wonder what the hell I was doing, only 5 minutes into the wood, the familiar "kip, kip" call of Crossbill was heard, yippee! Result! I then had 3 Crossbill including a fine male sitting atop the conifers, nice eh? Had more Redpoll & Siskin, but no sign of any Tree Sparrows from previously known locations, doh. Full of confidence I tried the recording for Firecrest, that's alternatively referred to as blind optimism!

I cycled around Hindringham & along the very NE border of my raduius staring distantly towards Warham & Wells but no distant geese of any sort! Steady ride back in Easterly breeze & frozen roads, so one more added & 8 days out of the circle bashing.



No comments:

Post a Comment