Sunday 11 March 2012

"Mediterranean" sun as wintering birds return north

A beautiful warm sunny day beckoned for a ride out on the bikes.

Jax joined me & we toured the lanes up to Sennowe. I lazily lifted my bins through a big group of Common Gulls, until one bird caught my attention. I steadied against the 5 bar gate, sure enough a 1st winter Med Gull (94) was feeding amongst them - a bonus as I hadn't even checked the gulls on the lake!

I scanned for raptors, plenty of Buzzard, plus a Kestrel, but no Peregrine or a Kite to set the pulse racing. About 10 minutes later a flock of birds came out the fields up into the nearby trees. We headed up on the bikes & it was a good flock of mixed finches, sat atop the 2nd nearest conifer was a cracking male Brambling (94), very nice & well overdue! There was at least one other Brambling & I suspect a few more as the main finch flock had dissolved into the trees!

With some spare time & the fine weather set to continue I am planning a full day attack tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment