Monday 2 July 2012

Gripped

Although Lakenheath RSPB is just outside my 15-km radius, Lakenheath airbase is not, so this pic - taken there by a 'civilian' on 13 June - is somewhat gripping:
Having never fluked one, nor lowered myself to twitch one, Black Kite is a bit more galling than various other species that have been within my radius this year but just not feasible by bike, for various reasons: Bewick's Swan, Black-necked Grebe, Wood Sandpiper, Whimbrel, Black Tern, Wryneck, Pied Flycatcher and Ring Ouzel, to name a few. 
(I blame my missing the other two Black ones on Mr Mills, who dragged me away to Speyside for a week in early May.
 Still, it could've been much worse: the Long-billed Dowitcher was found the evening before we headed north!)

Percentage of target to date - 98%
Distance cycled - 446.4mls / 718.4km
Latest addition - Turtle Dove (152) 23 June

No comments:

Post a Comment